God Gave Me A Donkey

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Hello My Bloggy Friends,

I have always driven my family crazy taking pictures. I admit I can be a little obsessive.
For some reason, I feel the need to capture the moment so I can re-live it. Maybe I'm afraid I'll forget.
God has impressed upon me several times that by trying to capture the moment, I end up missing it, so I'm learning to just enjoy.

But, with all of that said, this picture represents why I love photography. It's a memory.  I'm sure I would have forgotten this day if it hadn't been captured by someone.


This is me and my two sisters back in the early 70's, with a baby donkey that was born on our little farm.

He was the cutest thing with his curly wig. We played and played with him and I've loved donkeys ever since. When I see this picture I'm reminded of those happy summer days so long ago.

I'm thankful for memories!

I was reminded this last week of how God gave me (and my husband) a sweet gift and a good laugh several years ago. We had moved back to the country, after living in the city for many years, and I told my husband that I wanted to get a donkey.

The conversation went something like this.

Me:  I want to get a donkey.
Him:  We're not getting a donkey.
Me:  Why not?
Him:  You don't need a donkey.
Me:  But I want one.
Him:  Why do you want a donkey?
Me:  Because they're cute.
Him:  They're not cute.
Me:  I want to hear them make that donkey sound. (bray)
Him:  I'll buy you a recording of a donkey and you can listen to it anytime you want too.
Me:  Awe, come on (in my begging voice). We're getting a donkey.
Him:  We're not getting a donkey.

Well, we didn't get a donkey.

But, one Saturday morning, we had slept in; the sun was up; the house was still and quite... and I heard it! A donkey braying really loudly.


I jumped up and looked out the window and there he was. A donkey standing out in the field looking over the fence. I got excited and started proclaiming that God had given me a donkey!

The family that leases the property next to us had put a donkey in the field. God had given me my donkey! (and my husband's not responsible for it - that's why it's a gift to him too)

That's been years ago now and the donkey is still here and now has a friend. Every time I hear a donkey bray, I'm reminded and whisper to myself... God gave me a donkey!



He really does know us personally!

Here's a Heart Rock for your Pocket:
O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. 

How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! Psalm 139:1,17

Wishing you JOY!
Elaine

2 comments:

  1. God does look out for us in the most amazing ways! I love your posts. Wish you did them more often. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please leave a message.