Creating a Fall Mantel

Saturday, November 8, 2014

I had my favorite kind of day yesterday. It began with a slow leisurely morning at home. It was clear and cold, but began to warm as soon as the sun came up, and I went out for a walk soaking in the beauty of fall. One of my crepe myrtles is in full bloom, so I pruned a couple of limbs and brought them in to decorate my mantel adding the perfect touch of fall with very little effort and no expense.
I hung one branch with a piece of vintage seam binding, which you already know I'm addicted to, over an old mirror. It created an instant swag, and the mirror reflects the leaves beautifully. The reds and wine colors of the front side of the leaves reflect orange and yellow in the mirror.



I inherited this lovely old tattered mirror. It makes a great addition to the mantel. Many of you know this old trick, but if you move things around in your house from room to room, it's like getting new stuff!
I'm hanging on to my pumpkins from Halloween. They are just transitioning into Thanksgiving decor.
I wish I knew the history of this mirror. I wonder how many faces have looked into it.
Where did it originate? Was it a wedding gift? I could go on and on, so I'll just stop.


I added another branch to the opposite side of the mantel in a large glass vase filled with shredded paper and rice...
...and surrounded it by bricks and old heater grates.
I hope I've encouraged you to bring a little "fall" in the house. Have a great weekend!

Here's a Heart Rock for your Pocket:
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Wishing you God's best,
Elaine

Join me over at:
Feathered Nest Friday
Shabbilicious
Funky Junk
Friday Unfolded
Thoughts from Alice
Dwelling-The Heart of Your Home
Funday Monday
The Scoop
Cozy Little House
Savvy Southern Style
Knick of Time
Coastal Charm
Work it Wednesday
Craftberry Bush
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
The Big Reveal 

19 comments:

  1. I love every element of this vignette. That mirror is a treasure-beautiful! I'm constantly moving stuff around in my house too :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicki, I'm glad you like it. Thanks. Hope you have a good week. Visit again soon!

      Delete
  2. I love all the beauty of Fall,it is wonderful to bring it in. The mirror is lovely.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marlene. The Fall season doesn't last long enough for me. Have a good week.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful mantle! I LOVE that gorgeous mirror. I'd love for you to share at WIW. Hope to see you there!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the vintage mirror you used in your fall vignette! Thanx so much for partying at THT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty! I hope you will share this tonight at the Found & Foraged Linky Party! The party starts at 8PM CST! Hope to see you there http://www.thebigrevealblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace, thanks for the invitation. I did join in!
      Elaine

      Delete
  6. So pretty and I love your mirror! Sometimes the simplest make for a beautiful showpiece...the crepe myrtle is beautiful.

    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. I'm so excited to be featured at Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home.
      What an honor.
      Elaine

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. So happy to have you come over for a visit. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Elaine, that mirror is a treasure! I'm with you in loving the seam binding! That branches from your tree are the perfect touch! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use the trick of moving things from room to room often! It really does work! (And it totally works with the kids' toys too...hahaha). Thanks so much for linking up with Found & Foraged!! Hope to see you back this Saturday. xo, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful and inspiring Elaine! Loved reading this post today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Elaine! Had such a fun time on that blog hop today! Just wanted to give you a personal thank you for linking up at Found & Foraged! We hope to see you again Saturday night at 8PM! Kyla @ http://houseofhipsters.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please leave a message.