Collecting Old Soda Bottles

Monday, August 3, 2015

When I was a young girl, my sisters and I desperately wanted to go to Six Flags. Our dad told us that if we could earn enough money to go, he would take us. That's when my obsession with Coke bottles began.



Back in the 70's, Coke bottles could be returned to the gas station for a 5 cent deposit refund. We collected soda bottles all summer long and earned our trip to Six Flags one nickel at a time.

That was a great summer!

To this day, I still can't resist an old soda bottle and I always look on the bottom to see where it was bottled.


My hometown had a Coca-Cola bottling company and it was the coolest thing ever. The factory had big glass windows across the front and you could stand on the sidewalk and watch the Coke bottles roll down the line as they were filled and capped. At Christmas, there was a big Santa that stood in the window and held out a Coke to you and his arm moved back and forth as if he were alive. He looked like the Santa in the Norman Rockwell pictures... or at least he does in my memory.


I've found some really great bottles through the years and have received many of them as gifts.



The Royal Crown is one of my favorites.


I like to display them in old drink boxes, because that's how I remember them. The wooden crates sat next to the drink boxes and when you finished your drink you would leave your "empties" in the crate. The boxes would stack up until the Coke man made his rounds and picked them up.



What great memories!

Here's a Heart Rock for your Pocket:
"If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart shall flow rivers of living water." John 7:37-38

Wishing you God's best,
Elaine


Join me over at:
From My Front Porch to Yours
Share Your Cup
Shabby Art Boutique
French Country Cottage
The Charm of Home
Nancherrow
Romantic Home
Thoughts from Alice
Found and Forged
Dwellings-Heart of Your Home
Inspiration Monday
The Scoop
Home Stories A to Z
Cozy Little House
Beyond the Picket Fence
Coastal Charm
DIY by Design
Ivy & Elephants
Savvy Southern Style
Work It Wednesday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Share Your Cup
Feathered Nest Friday
Shabbilicious

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big soda drinker so I didn't know you can look at the bottom and see where it came from. Honestly. :P

    Great memories. I hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading about your memories as a youngon! Not sure where you grew up but it sounds just like where I grew up. Not sure if this is the right place but here goes... Your favorite soda bottle to display is RC cola so I'm wondering if you would be interested in two vintage unopened 10 oz RC cola bottles dated 1-3-53 and 2-4-55 bottled in Nashville, TN. If so please email me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please leave a message.