Planning a Party - No. 1

Monday, June 8, 2015

We have two very important milestone events in our family this week. My parents have their 50th wedding anniversary and my grandfather turns 90 years old. Both are cause for celebration, so let the parties begin!


Since I have two parties to plan for, I'm going to use the same decorations for both with a few "switch-ups" for a completely different look and feel and I'll share the results with you.

First comes the anniversary party...

My parents wouldn't allow us to throw them a big fussy party, so we 'kids' planned a family dinner party in their honor.

For a central theme of the decorations, I chose a collection of succulents for the tables and I'll display them very differently for each party. For the anniversary party, I placed them in vintage milk glass containers, which lends a beautiful, simple elegance without being too fancy or frilly.


A light-weight brown paper holds the plants in place and hides their black plastic pots.


German glass glitter adds a little sparkle to the edges of the paper and makes things a little more festive.


I found a pair of scarfs that were the perfect colors and pattern for what I had in mind, so I used them as table runners. There are no rules that say we have to use things only for the purpose they were created. When you like something, regardless of what it is... look for ways to incorporate it into your living space.


To acknowledge why we were gathering, a "50" was what we needed. Plastic house numbers, glittered, with wooden skewers to hold the them in place, worked perfectly. After all, this is a Golden Anniversary!


Even though I wasn't allowed to throw the big outdoor, white tent, band playing party that I wanted too, when no one was looking I did string up party lights in the house!

Lights make everything magical.  I may never take them down!



Our night together was something to remember, as my parents shared how they met, fell in love and got married. They relived their adventures and acknowledged how God has walked with them every step of the way.

A great cause for celebration!

Here's a Heart Rock for your Pocket:
Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. Psalm 100:4

Next week I'll share the transformation to 90th birthday party. See you then!

Wishing you God's best,
Elaine


Join me over at:
From My Front Porch to Yours
Share Your Cup
Shabby Art Boutique
French Country Cottage
The Charm of Home
Nancherrow
Romantic Home
Thoughts from Alice
Found and Forged
Dwellings-Heart of Your Home
Inspiration Monday
The Scoop
Home Stories A to Z
Cozy Little House
Beyond the Picket Fence
Coastal Charm
DIY by Design
Ivy & Elephants
Savvy Southern Style
Work It Wednesday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Share Your Cup
Feathered Nest Friday
Shabbilicious


5 comments:

  1. i love this. one day i would like to use my milk glass collection this way. happy happy to all!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful! Love how you used succulents in the milk glass and trimming the paper with glitter...such a great idea! Two special occasions...what a blessing!
    Thanks so much for shairng at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you were able to use the succulents for both parties! Milk glass is a classic! My neighbor borrowed my few pieces to hold sundae toppings for her daughters wedding tomorrow night. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the planning a party and the pretty succulents at my last Fabulous Friday Party, I have been in Italy and just got back and ready to Party again, hope to see you at my party this weekend, starts tonight and goes until next week! Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Please leave a message.